Our Sound of Music Tour
Our Sound of Music Tour is offered as a private tour (on request only) and designed exclusively for those who are staying in (or starting in) Berchtesgaden.
This delightful tour combines Salzburg’s history and architecture with the main locations used in the film. This unique tour is conducted by native English speaking Sound of Music authorities who can tell “behind-the-scenes” stories about this film classic.
En route from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg your guide will recount Berchtesgaden’s role in the filming of the Sound of Music and describe the sites that were used in this area.
Once in Austria, the guide will touch upon Salzburg’s fascinating history before making a stop at Hellbrunn Palace where the famous “gazebo” used in the movie is located today. You will drive by Frohenburg Palace (used as the front of the von Trapp home in the film) and stop at Leopoldskron Palace (which portrayed the back of the von Trapp home in the film).
In Salzburg a walking tour (approx. 1 hour) will introduce you to the city’s architectural highlights and numerous filming locations, including:
- Mirabell Gardens (second half of “Do, Re, Mi”)
- Salzburg Cathedral (location of 2 scenes in the film)
- Residence Square (location of 2 scenes in the film)
- Chapter Square (Maria boards a bus)
- St. Peter’s Cemetery (model for escape scene)
- Outside of Felsenreitschule (farewell concert)
- Nonnberg Abbey (4 scenes) (optional for good walkers only)
Following your pleasant stroll through town, you’ll enjoy an hour free time in Salzburg before returning to Berchtesgaden.
On the way back from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden your guide will recount the true story of the von Trapp family and how it was made into a film classic, still so popular today. Songs from the film will be played during the driving tour, setting the tone for a memorable morning.
Cost of a private half-day tour starting in Berchtesgaden:
- Parties of 1 – 4 participants: 330 € total per party for up to 4 hours and 80 € for each additional hour.
(Up to 6 passengers possible if 2 children sit in the back row)
The tour begins at 8:30 am at the Berchtesgaden train station (hotel pick-up in Berchtesgaden may be possible by arrangement).